What’s New: Goodbyes, Yoga, and Other Happenings

Every Wednesday I write a post to reflect on any big events in our family’s life, along with all of the small changes and new developments I notice with Annabelle during the week. Life moves so quickly, and this is my way of keeping track – my virtual scrapbook, if you will. If you write a post, or put together a collection of photos, to record the happenings with your own children or family, I’d love to have you link up so I can follow along. There’s a link-up at the bottom of this post for anyone who would like to join. This year, I’m also participating in Mamatography, a 366 day photo challenge, started by Luschka at Diary of a First Child, and this weekly update seems the perfect time to post the photos I take during the week, so you’ll see them scattered about in each post.

______

The only photo I got for this day. To remember the art A creates without burying myself in paper, I take photos of each piece for a digital portfolio. Here's one!

It was a slightly busy and very sad week around here as we said farewell to some great friends. I don’t know if it’s the nature of this island, where so few people plan to stay forever, the need we all have for support during this stage of parenting and life, or something else entirely, but I still can’t believe what incredible friendships we have been able to form in our short time here. It’s wonderful, and makes it a bummer to say goodbye. The day they left, Annabelle asked for P and I reminded her that they went on an airplane to their new house. She did not like that, and told me so, “Not wanting them to do that.” Thank goodness for Skype and vacations – I love knowing that Annabelle will be able to maintain a connection with her first best friends.

I thought we'd make fresh squeezed orange juice. She was not interested in squeezing.

Despite the sad bits associated with our week, Annabelle has continued to find laughter in even very small things. Yesterday, we Skyped with her “Grandma Great and Grandpa Great” (my grandparents) and she showed them her animal models once again, telling them the buffalo was a “watermelon,” and laughing heartily at her own joke.

Another thing I have noticed with her is how very tuned in she is to different foods and flavors. I don’t know if it’s a by-product of the way she has experienced food (Baby-Led Weaning?), growing so many herbs ourselves, or if she just naturally has a very refined palate, but I’ve been thoroughly impressed. I made some basil-tofu ricotta, which involves mixing a variety of things into a pound of silken tofu, including a teaspoon of dried basil. Annabelle, who had not watched me make it, came along afterward and wanted a bite. Upon tasting it, she declared, “has basil in it!” She also noted the tiny flecks of chocolate in her special treat of organic animal crackers – a flavor I thought was far from prominent. She amazes me with the subtleties she picks up on.

Sweet dreams, dryer ball.

A is also very into the camera lately, which makes it much easier for me to remember to take a photo each day, “Mommy, take a picture.” The quality of the pictures, however, has suffered, since she is usually running over to look at the result before I actually have a chance to take one, like in the above when she posed for all of two seconds with fruit stickers all over her torso. Word to the wise, the adhesive sticks around. There are still traces of it on A’s skin four days later. We won’t be doing that again!

She’s occupying herself for much longer stretches of time, which is helpful when I have a lot of work to get done. It’s also just great to see how content and secure she is in her own company. The funny thing lately is that she spends very little time with the carefully designed activities on her shelf, and a great deal of time in activities of her own invention. Early this week, I opened up the pantry to find a wool dryer ball, asleep on a small plate on the bottom shelf, with a lovely soft washcloth for a blanket. Almost daily, she asks me to get out the yoga mat and, if I’m not available to do a video with her, she happily practices quietly on her own. Since I wasn’t up for a session on Monday, she brought the dvd case from our prenatal yoga dvd to her mat as inspiration.

She has always been an independent person in her own unique way, very resistant to help and instruction on most things. Lately, I have seen a balance appearing there, with her asking for help on things she’s struggling with, and willingly accepting it. At the same time, she has started very carefully enunciating the word, “help.” I absolutely love her independence, but it’s hard to see her frustrated when she’s unwilling to let me help, so this has been nice.

Sleep continued to be a bit of a challenge this week, but I think we’re settling into a nice groove about now. I just need to figure out naps, which are only happening about half the time lately despite clear signs that they’re needed. There will definitely be a sleep post in the very near future! I’m sure we’ll get it all worked out and settle into a nice groove just in time to move across the globe, battle the jet lag, and welcome a newborn into our family. Ah, well.

What’s new with your family this week?

22 Responses to What’s New: Goodbyes, Yoga, and Other Happenings

• Jessica says:

I love what an inspiration you are! Such a great mama, I admire you doing yoga with your babe. I do a post-natal workout and Jase often does it along with me. I will say, at least for us, the mimicking mommy has very much been a girl thing. My son did a bit, but often had other interests. It’s amazing how each kid can be so different. I can’t wait to hear your thoughts on that.

You’re too kind, Jessica. I don’t know that I’d ever fit exercise into my routine without my enthusiastic participant, so I’m grateful she enjoys it! It’s interesting to hear about the differences between your older two. I’m definitely excited to discover the personality of our new family member :) Do you love the postnatal exercise you’re doing? I’m taking recommendations!

• teresa says:

I finally linked up!!
    I love the stickers photo!! Our girls are so much alike. I’m just a little farther down the road than you.
    It’s so amazing to have made wonderful friends on your island. Luckily, the world has gotten much smaller with all the ways we have to connect now.
    Oh and the running for the camera to see each shot cracks me up too. Another familiar scenario.

Hooray! So glad you joined in :) I always think how fun it would be if I could get A together with my best blog friends and their children. I’d love to see what our two could come up with together!

• Cheryl says:

So wonderful to hear about A’s food interests and the ability to sense the herbs and subtle flavors. I think it will help her discover incredible natural foods later on in life.

• Sounds like a full week full of so many emotions and happenings! I love all the pics! A sure is lucky to have you for a Mama!

• Luschka says:

Fab photos! I am always stumped on what to do with the art work that comes in from nursery. At the moment it goes in a box ‘frame’ but at some point that will be full too. Maybe digital is a good idea indeed!

With more than a paper a day, several on some days, I just could not imagine keeping all of the hard copies. I treasure her work, of course, but digital is the way for us!

I love that she’s doing yoga! I dream of doing yoga with Q-ball. I roll out the yoga mat nearly everyday to prepare her (this does not mean that it gets true use, but we do at least one move on it!)

And, good luck with the move! Truly bittersweet events. Not to mention busy and a bit stressful! As someone who moved throughout my childhood, it is interesting to note how moves affect children at various ages and how they affect different children differently.

I can almost see the heart stoppingly sweet photos of Q-ball concentrated on favorite yoga poses. It will be so much fun when she gets into it, I’m sure! Assuming she does, of course. I don’t think I’ve seen a young child refuse.

It will be interesting to see how things go when we really get the preparations in full swing. Having seen A’s two best friends go through a move in recent months, I’ll admit I’m dreading it a bit, but I’m sure we’ll all get through it together as we’ve done with everything :/ If you have any tips as someone who was there as a kid, I’m open to them!

• Lisa M says:

I think it’s great that A can Skype with your grandparents! I really think it’s wonderful that she knows her great grandparents. :)

• I can relate, Jesse has a shelf filled with toys and puzzles etc and those only get played with when I play with him. If he’s doing his own thing its always outside, and invariably involves sticks, sand / mud and the dogs. Such a great update as usual :)

• Oh, my! She can pick out the taste of basil?! That is amazing! (not sure I can). Freakin’ fabulous!

Love your update, as ever. I don’t know how you manage to draw us into your world so lovingly, but I feel part of the family :)

Thanks,
    Gauri

A continues to inspire and amaze! This has inspired me now to do some of my yoga dvd with B. Can you get kid size mats? The digital art record is a lovely idea too. Bad mammy here just recycles most of them, although we did frame her first collage and hang it in the hall (it is lovely).

They do make kid-sized mats! I am always eyeing them, but have yet to get Annabelle her own. I know she would be beside herself with excitement. She always shares mine, whether I invite her to or not ;)

Saving and not saving art is tough. For awhile I thought I’d save just the special ones, but then I realized I’m not really qualified to judge her art as “special”/worth saving or not. I decided I had to take an approach that treated it all the same until she starts deciding on her own, and digital was the only way to do that without overwhelming myself totally!

• tinsenpup says:

I can’t tell you how happy that little dryer ball bed makes me. Ly has been putting her cars and trucks and occasionally a doll (gasp!) in little beds over the last couple of weeks. I know Annabelle is a little younger, but it’s funny how often I read these posts of yours to find that they’re doing similar things. I think they’re long distance developmental twins.

I like that our two are on the same page. I’m sure they’d have great fun together – putting all of the toys they could get their hands on to bed. If I were nearby, I’d love to have Ly over for an afternoon!