What’s New: Jet Lag Edition, with Moving News

After all the carousel fun in Italy, the first order of business this weekend was to visit one here. It's in a shopping mall instead of a cool piazza, but it has a gorilla!

I was so excited to come home and catch up with everyone, but so far all I’ve managed to do is sleep. I’ve done my fair share of travel, and I never remember jet lag this extreme, but I suppose pregnancy and a partner in crime can complicate matters. In any case, this week’s will be a much shorter post, and I’ll be later than I had hoped in catching up, but thankfully the internet, or rather you all, seem to be forgiving on such matters.

Because my brain is sleeping while I’m awake, I seem to have forgotten that I have a camera. I took no photos on our flight home because I was too busy being cranky and tired, and composing a letter of complaint to Air France in my head. I’ll have to write a travel recap post soon, and include the good, the bad, and the ugly. It was mostly good, but I have to keep it real. I’ve been pretty lousy at taking pictures since we got back as well, but I think I may be back on track. I’ll pepper this post with what I have managed to capture, in the name of Mamatography.

A post-nap nap.

Annabelle has been awfully busy playing with her beloved animal models, riding her tricycle, and just taking advantage of the things in her environment. She seems happy to be home! Like me, I think she has been a bit foggy during the readjustment, so no major conquests to report. She has been taking long naps in the middle of the day and having an awfully hard time waking up from them, then going to bed normally but waking up sometime between three and five am. One glorious morning she slept until six thirty, and I’m hoping this event repeats itself tomorrow. In the photo at right, she had gotten up from her nap sometime around four thirty in the afternoon, and then walked over to the couch, put her head down (while still standing), and fallen right back to sleep. I know the feeling, love.

When not asleep, I’m wandering aimlessly (and not at all vibrantly) around the house, trying to remember how to clean and where things go so that we can get the house back in order. The intersection between pregnancy brain and jet lag is not a pretty sight!

Annabelle has been helping me clean out the refrigerator after our long time away. Almond milk does not keep three weeks!

We did have some exciting news as a family. Just when I was getting to the point of being unable to think about anything other than our impending move, and feeling stressed out and upset that we had yet to be notified of where we’d be so that I could start planning for this birth, the husband found out where his next job will be. We’re moving to Washington DC! Well, we’ll more likely live in Northern Virginia, but you get the idea. It was a beautiful thing, while living on an island with one birthing center and one doula to search for nearby birthing centers and get “the first ten” results. So now I’m wading through the options, and would love to hear from you if you have birthed in the area or know someone who has. Also looking at neighborhoods, Montessori schools, parenting groups and, well, hopefully some friends.

Other than that, it has been pretty normal around here as we get back into the flow of daily life at home. I would love to hear what’s new with you, so please don’t be shy! Feel free to share away in the comments, or link any update posts of your own below.

…and two more photos for the Mamatography challenge.

The husband actually snapped this one of me, asleep in my clothes beside Annabelle asleep with her head at the foot of the bed, in mismatched pjs. Hey, at least I got dressed! Pretty good for people as tired as us!

Yesterday we finally got the grocery shopping done, and Annabelle discovered the new child-sized shopping carts.

26 Responses to What’s New: Jet Lag Edition, with Moving News

• Oh, I love that napping picture of Annabelle! I always find that jet lag is very difficult when you don’t have a schedule that you absolutely must keep. I am much too likely to succumb to the temptations of an afternoon nap, and it takes forever to get back. You would think I would be used to it by now! I have a friend that swears by melatonin supplements, but I have never tried them. Hope you catch up on sleep soon!

Thanks, Amy! I have heard a lot of good things from people who use melatonin, but haven’t done any research myself. Perhaps it’s time I do!

• Jess says:

so glad you know where you are going. Oh the relief you must feel! Hope you get to rest, rest, rest

Thank you, Jess! It is a huge relief, for sure. Still working on that rest thing. I think we’re almost caught up!

• teresa says:

Anabelle looks so big in that sleeping photo with you! They start to get so long.
    I’ve driven through Virginia and it’s so beautiful and lush. I hope you love it.

I know! Her birthday is coming up in just a few days and I keep marveling at both her size and her near two-ness. I’m sure you know the feeling well!

• Luschka says:

I LOVE that post nap nap picture! Isn’t it fab when they do that! Just sooooo cute. Glad to have you safely back. I think you’ve done an awesome job staying on top of it all – mostly – post travel. Good on you!

Thank you, Luschka! When I see how much you’re managing to get done at 40+ weeks pregnant, I’m a bit intimidated ;) I’m loving the ease with which Annabelle is falling asleep right now because she has never been a child who would do so without warning. It really is precious!

• I had a good giggle at the pic of Annabelle asleep standing up, poor thing, hope you both catch up on all your sleep and get back into the swing of things soon.

All the best for your upcoming move, moving is so stressful, and to be pregnant too, I will be thinking of you. I am moving this weekend so know exactly what stress that entails ;)

• Cheryl says:

Jet lag is a mysterious thing, all you can do is sleep! Good luck with the move!!

Congrats on learning where you are headed. As a fellow military wife (and army brat…), I know what an exciting time that is. And, a relief when you learn you are going somewhere as awesome as DC! I imagine that all of the new sites and resources will be so inspiring for your family.

I had wondered if your husband was military! I guessed he probably was, but always hate to ask people to share more details than they’re comfortable with :) I do think DC will have a lot to offer our family, so we’re looking forward to it!

• Laura says:

Beautiful pictures there! I am glad to hear you already now where you’re heading. I wish you all the best with your research and move. Washington sounds like a good option, doesn’t it?
    And, well, shy as I am, I dare link our news: http://labambinafelice.blogspot.com/2012/03/before-spring-settles-in.html

Thank you, Laura! It really does seem like a good option for us, so we’re embracing it. Thank you for sharing your link! You’re always welcome to add it with thumbnail and all to the link-up if you’re feeling sociable. Don’t want to push you, though! ;)

We have mismatched pjs here all the time, without the excuse of jet lag! Great photos of you all asleep.
    I’m delighted you know where are going now, and that it has so many options for you.

Who says they need to match anyway, right? I was sort of hoping to end up in England and finally meet the famous B, but I think DC will do! :)

• CONGRATS on the big move! I’ve only visited there once but totally loved it and can’t wait to go back. We’re leavin’ on a jet plane this weekend — won’t have the same magnitude of jet lag as you, but dreading the schedule change for a baby who doesn’t do schedule changes well. Such is the price we pay for adventure and family time :)

• Hello! Congrats on your pregnancy and upcoming move to the D.C.-Virginia area! My family lived & worked there for a number of years before moving to California. While I don’t miss the traffic, I do miss the fabulous restaurants and historical sites. OooH! And picnicing by the river. Also, there are a lot of great schools out there. If you like Montessori schools, I hear there is a good one near Shirlington.

Cheers,
    Kristina

Thanks so much, Kristina! If you have any recommendations on neighborhoods we should check out, I’d love ‘em! :)

• Lisa M says:

We love the little shopping carts at our grocery store! We don’t use them very often, but the kids like them! :) Good luck with the move and planning! I hope that it isn’t too stressful for you! Pregnancy can be hard enough sometimes! ;) I am due (with baby #3) on May 31… when are you due?

Aren’t they great!? It makes a huge difference in the shopping experience when children can feel involved! Congratulations on your growing family! I’m about two months behind you, expecting this one to join us on the outside around the end of July or beginning of August :)

• Love your mama-tot nap photo! I’m going to tell my husband to snap some of Bas & I – I don’t think we have a single one, and we nap together all the time!

I’d love to see more posts about what Annabelle does during the day and how you stay entertained. I’m also interested in how you taught her to ride her trike! We just got one for Sebastian and I’m not sure if he is strong enough to push the pedals or just doesn’t get it yet, but we’re trying to teach.

I’m planning on doing another photo journal of the day post on Wednesday, so hopefully that gives a good sense of life around here. Would love to know how you guys do things, too. I don’t know if I would survive without help as a truly work at home mom. I do a lot of work (and school), but there’s no money riding on anything I do!

As for the trike, I haven’t taught Annabelle at all. She sometimes pushes the pedals, and other times scoots along with her feet. If you have any luck, let me know what you do!

• I see your belly! And it looks beautiful.
    Wow, back to the mainland and off the island. You are an adaptable mama.