My Top Ten New Mommy Moments

Welcome to the March Carnival of Natural Parenting: Natural Parenting Top 10 Lists
This post was written for inclusion in the monthly Carnival of Natural Parenting hosted by Hobo Mama and Code Name: Mama. This month our participants have shared Top 10 lists on a wide variety of aspects of attachment parenting and natural living. Please read to the end to find a list of links to the other carnival participants.

As my first year of motherhood, and the first year of Annabelle’s life is coming to a close, I thought I’d put together a list of my top ten new mommy moments. Some are chosen more because they were hilarious and therefore memorable, while others are chosen for their ability to make me all melty. The order is disputable, but without further ado:

My Top Ten New Mommy Moments: Reflecting on the First Year

10. The moment when I found myself dripping wet in a tiny shower in a tiny bathroom with my perfect, as yet untouched by all things gross and creepy, newborn daughter sleeping in her bouncer on the only bit of open floor, face-to-face with one of the largest cockroaches I have ever laid eyes on. This can also be remembered as the moment when all my concerns about the many horrifying chemicals in household products went out the window and I ran, naked, to grab a giant can of Raid. Not my brightest moment, but one I shall never forget.

9. The moment when I noticed a rash in the underarm of my perfect, tiny daughter, and, with a heart beating wildly and tears welling up in my eyes, began mentally preparing for a rush to the emergency room where I would surely find out that she had lymphoma (she doesn’t), and the moment shortly thereafter when I realized that I was overreacting and she was probably going to be just fine.

8. The moment when something was wrong with my new daughter, and instead of spinning myself up into a flurry of fear and worry, I managed to keep a level head, and tell myself that I would keep an eye on it, but she was likely going to be just fine. This was also the moment when I realized that a lack of worry did not make me a bad mother, and I also began to learn that breast milk is the cure for nearly everything.

7. The moment when I realized that I could, in fact, nurse while lying in bed. This was also the moment when my new mom exhaustion levels took a turn for the best.

6. The moment when I heard my new crawler wake from a nap and walked into her room to find her, not waiting motionless on her bed, but rather crawling toward the door, and grinning, like a conqueror of her own world.

5. The moment when my husband had returned from eight months away and, having gone to sleep all together, we woke up the next morning and the reality of our tiny family swept over me. This was our life, and it was very, very good.

4. The moment when the babe learned to walk up to me and climb into my lap on her own. There have been many similar moments since and I aim to cherish each one, because I’m sure that a day will come when she has no interest in having me hold her.

3. The moment when my husband took our daughter from my arms, stared into her face with a grin, and began walking her around the room as he stared into her eyes. This was also the moment when I truly realized, though I had never doubted it to begin with, that he was going to be an incredible father.

2. The moment when I realized that I had actually, really and truly birthed my baby and she was being placed on my chest all wriggling, squirming, and beautiful. This can also be thought of as the moment when a very large piece of my heart burst out of my chest and landed in the arms of the most incredible, tiny person.

1. The moment when I was rocking Annabelle to sleep, and for the first time, she reached around my neck as if to hug me, placed one tiny hand on my back, and began to pat.

***

Carnival of Natural Parenting -- Hobo Mama and Code Name: MamaVisit Hobo Mama and Code Name: Mama to find out how you can participate in the next Carnival of Natural Parenting!

Please take time to read the submissions by the other carnival participants:

19 Responses to My Top Ten New Mommy Moments

• MJ says:

Such wonderful moments Melissa!! And the cockroach one would have flipped me out twice!!!

• Jenn Collins @Monkey Butt Junction says:

I love it when a post can make me laugh and tear up all at the same time. I love these moments, they are wonderful!

• teresa says:

So beautiful! You're going to love that you have this, and someday she will too.
    Congratulations on a great year with your family.

• Lauren @ Hobo Mama says:

Aw! Those are making me all melty, too. That last one especially! I love the one where you woke up as a family — that's so touching — and the one where your husband was walking her around. Ok, I'll say it again: Aw!

• Guavalicious says:

Oh I love that picture of your husband and your daughter. Makes my heart melt. :)

• Gretchen says:

I agree, nursing lying down – one of the biggest accomplishment of my life!

• Lori @ Beneath the Rowan Tree says:

So melty :) Thanks for sharing!

Lori
    beneaththerowantree.com
    Come & Join the Playdate!

• Momma Jorje says:

You probably made SO many mommies get all melty and teary-eyed today! I remember many of these moments (and freaked when little bugs would approach our baby who usually slept on a blanket on the floor at our feet during those early months). We often have playtime in the bed, just the three of us, and I tell you… All is right with the world when nothing else exists but us three! :-)

• Mary Michael says:

#1 is beautiful. Made my eyes tear…Thanks for sharing these lovely moments!

• Dionna @ Code Name: Mama says:

re: #8 – Kieran got pinched by a hermit crab the other day, and I totally panicked. I didn't flip, but I had NO clue what to do. Thankfully the crab owner had a more level head ;) And #1? So, so sweet :)

• pecky says:

This post is so perfect, I wish I had written it myself :) Seriously, very sweet. Made me remember similar moments I've had as a new Mama.

• pecky says:

• Lori @ Beneath the Rowan Tree says:

So melty :) Thanks for sharing!

Lori
    beneaththerowantree.com
    Come & Join the Playdate!

• Gretchen says:

I agree, nursing lying down – one of the biggest accomplishment of my life!

• Guavalicious says:

• Lauren @ Hobo Mama says:

• teresa says:

Congratulations on a great year with your family.

• MJ says:

• Luschka says:

Beautiful moments that took me right back to many of my own :)